SCRIPT


1. INT. BIN ROOM - DAY

(Flashback). STANLEY lies on floor of bin room, which is well lit. He is dead; blood is visible on his shirt.

A heavy breathing (ROSE) is heard from outside view of camera.

2. Cut to TITLE SEQUENCE.

SCENE 1
3. EXT. GARDEN – DAY

STANLEY, ROSE and their kids gather in garden to take their annual family photo. They interact with camera as if they are using it for their photograph on a self-timer. Everyone looks happy.

DAUGHTER 1 is fiddling with camera

DAUGHTER 1
Everyone ready?

Okay, it’s set for 10 seconds so look sharp, we’ve got time.

DAUGHTER 1 runs back to join family within frame

DAUGHTER 2
Wait, stop. My hairs not right. Wait, wait.

DAUGHTER 1
Shut up, you look fine. Get over yourself

STANLEY
Darling, you look fine. We all look great.

STANLEY kisses ROSE on head.
Entire family looks directly at camera and holds pose.

SCENE 2
4. EXT. GREEN SPACE – DAY

ROSE and STANLEY are enjoying a picnic together. ROSE has put a lot of effort into organising the picnic. The two are sitting on the grass with a blanket and a hamper full of food.

ROSE
I made sandwiches, there’s grapes

STANLEY
Strawberries?

ROSE
I knew you’d want something else

I do have some sausages and we’ve got some cheese.

Should we start with the wine?

STANLEY
Wine sounds good

ROSE pours two glasses of wine. The couple cheers, STANLEY takes his wine down a lot quicker than ROSE. They sit in silence for a bit. ROSE takes a picture of STANLEY
ROSE takes a big bite out of one of her sandwiches.

ROSE
(whilst chewing on her food) Not to toot my own horn or anything but it’s a pretty good sandwich (she giggles)

Go on, dig in.

STANLEY
You know what, I’m not really in the mood for one of your sandwiches. Can you pour me some more wine?

STANLEY eats a grape.

STANLEY takes a sip of his wine

SCENE 3
5. INT. – LIVING ROOM – EVENING

ROSE and STANLEY are sitting on the sofa next to each other; watching TV. ROSE is constantly giggling at the TV and reacting to the content, awkwardly, whilst looking back at STANLEY. STANLEY is not as amused as ROSE.
STANLEY takes a sip of his drink (linked to previous scene as he takes his last sip).

SCENE 4
6. INT. – BEDROOM – NIGHT

STANLEY is snoring.
ROSE hits STANLEY ON THE CHEST

ROSE
For gods sake

SCENE 5
7. INT. - KITCHEN – EVENING

It’s ROSE’S birthday. There is a birthday cake with candles, ROSE’s daughters are singing happy birthday to ROSE. ROSE is smiling


DAUGHTER 1
Love you mum, Happy Birthday! (kisses ROSE on cheek) ROSE takes a picture of the cake with the girls by it.

ROSE blows out candles. Girls cheer

ROSE
You two are too good to me! Thank you girls.

Front door is heard being opened. ROSE looks back and STANLEY’s drunk voice is heard.

SCENE 6
8. EXT. – GARDEN – DAY
A year on, the annual family photo is being taken in the garden. This time STANLEY and ROSE struggle to look comfortable in the picture and choose to stand on either side of the girls, as far away from each other as possible.
ROSE is fiddling with the camera
DAUGHTER 1
Mum, you’re doing it wrong, look its –

ROSE
NO, I got it, I’m not doing it wrong

once it is set up, she takes her place – away from STANLEY. Everyone looks a bit awkward. The picture doesn’t get taken because ROSE set it up wrong.

STANLEY
Why’s it not going? Jesus Christ Rose, come on its not that tricky.

ROSE
Oh zip it Stan (she stares at him)
,
It’s always my fault isn’t it, why don’t you try help out yourself for once.

DAUGHTER 1
(at same time as daughter 1)
Guys, please, honestly its not that deep. Just stand still and stop acting like children, Emmy, go set the timer up.

DAUGHTER 2
Shut up, can we not just take the fucking picture?

DAUGHTER 2 sets up the timer, everyone is bickering in background. She goes and takes her place again in the frame. Everyone smiles.

SCENE 7
9. INT. – KITCHEN – EVENING
ROSE is serving dinner. She gives STANLEY his plate of food. They eat together in silence.

SCENE 8
10.         INT. - LIVING ROOM – EVENING

ROSE and STANLEY sit together watching TV, this time on different sides of the sofa. STANLEY cannot decide on what TV show to watch – he keeps flicking through the channels.

ROSE
I love this show…

STANLEY
Oh for god’s sake Rose, honestly, stop complaining

ROSE
I will do, once you’ve picked a channel

STANLEY
Give me a damn second

ROSE
Oh I’ve –

STANLEY
Stop talking

ROSE
(attempts to talk but stays quiet) –
SCENE 9
11.         INT. CAR – DAY
STANLEY is sitting in passenger seat with headphones in whilst ROSE is driving. You can hear STANLEY’S music playing really loud (heavy metal/drums). ROSE is trying to bicker with him. STANLEY SITS STILL.

ROSE
Don’t let me down in front of mother today.

It would be nice if you could do that, you know, something for me, for once.

It would also be nice if you could pretend to care as well Stanley.

I mean, where the fuck did this all go wrong, what did I do? Is it my fault AGAIN? I just can’t comprehend your inability to be a freaking normal human being.

Stan
Are you listening?
Stanley
Take those stupid things out your ears
Stanley
STANLEY

STANLEY takes out headphones and music stops (whilst ROSE is still shouting his name). SILENCE.


SCENE 10
12.         INT. – KITCHEN – EVENING

ROSE is serving dinner again. This time STANLEY is not here. She eats alone, in silence.

SCENE 11
13.         INT. – BIN ROOM – DAY

(Back to present). Full view shot of ROSE standing above STANLEY with a knife in her hand.

ROSE
Should’ve just eaten the fucking sandwiches.





END

During filming, the actors in my film found it difficult to stick completely to the script, I did not feel there was enough time to learn the words from memory and therefore, there is a noticeable difference in what is written down on paper and what is said on screen.

The picnic scene
--> Following filming of this scene, I was not pleased with the aesthetics and mise-en-scene of the shot. It did not look how I wanted it to look and felt it dragged down the film. I also, had made an error with the sound and so the microphones picked up too much background of airplanes and cars etc. (I have learnt this is difficult to avoid when filming outside). After all this, I decided to cut this scene completely, I didn't deem it as necessary within the script any longer.
My film also turned out to be longer than 5 minutes so removing this scene helped to reduce time, I filled in space with short experimental shots that have less action and speech in. i did this because I felt too much speech didn't look as good so I aimed to simplify the film a bit more.
I was pleased with how the scene in the car went when it came to editing the music, this turned out better than I expected.
I also removed the scene where Rose and Stanley eat dinner in silence towards the end of the script. I did this again, because I did not like how the shots looked within the film and felt it bought it down than made it any better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ellington Kid by Dan Sully

Operator by Caroline Bartleet

Slap by Nick Rowland